RE: Questions, questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Questions, questions
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 08:16:42 -0800
> As to brake fluid, you can use either DOT 3 or DOT 4 with no modifications.
> You can also go with DOT 5 silicone, however you will need to drain the
> system completely first if that is the route you choose to go.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Do NOT (bold, underline, italics, very large font) I repeat NOT use DOT 3
brake fluid in any girling brake system.  The seals are not compatible with
this fluid and will fail.  Your owner's manual and all repair manuals will
tell you this.  I have worked with various rubber compound's using o-rings
in the course of my previous job, certian coumpounds will swell greatly in
fluids that they are not compatible with .  Sometimes in an amazingly short
time!  Parker and Parco (the two major o-ring manufacturers) have tables
with fluid/compound compatibly.   The problem is that seals in Girling
products are made from natural rubber.  At least the original ones ( I'm not
sure of the after market).  An interesting side note, the tables list
Silicon oils, and Silicon fluids,  (I'm assuming Silicon brake fluid falls
into this catagory) is perfectly compatable with Natural rubber!  Anybody
have the mil-spec or automotive spec handy (don't have it here).  It may be
listed in these tables-

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (under-going major surgery) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+