Re: Nylatron bushings/springs TR-6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Nylatron bushings/springs TR-6
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 19:09:29 -0500
Hi Gary,
Here's part 2, regarding springs for your '69.

I was satisfied with the results of installing used late-model ('75,76)
springs in my '68 TR-250.  I first tried some `mild competition grade'
springs from TS Imports, but they were too tall and too stiff for the '68
and I gave them to a friend who had a '75 that suffered the usual old TR
rear-end squat problem.  The later models are a few hundred pounds heavier
than the earlier ones, though, so the new springs looked right on his car.
I took his old springs, swapped them L to R as the driver's side was just
a bit shorter (sagged more) than the passenger's, but since I weigh over
16 1/2 stone (that's 230 lbs Amurrican) I figured that having the better
spring on the driver's side would help.

This worked fine in my case, but then my old 250 had serious frame prob-
lems with much patching in the rear swing-arm area, so maybe your results
won't be the same.  Be sure to at least inspect the swing-arm bushings
while you're down there, and the bracket area, especially if your car
ever saw much drive time on salty roads.

Best regards,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio
former TR-250 owner,
former '69 Spitfire, '69 Tiger 650, '74 Trident 750 (all gone ! sniff,sniff)