TR6 body tub, frame problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 body tub, frame problem
From: PARKS <PARKS@ithaca.edu>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 20:40:25 -0400 (EDT)
Autoforwarded: false
Disclose-recipients: prohibited
Hop-count: 1
Ua-content-id: 11AC4D222B00
X400-mts-identifier: [;8325402009121996/A04999/IC1]
I recently bought a TR6 (actually 3.5 ) for restoration.
One of the cars had a body tub, and frame that had been *repaired* by the
previous owner.  Actually tne tub and frame look to be reasonably well repaired
and solid without any rust other than surface rust.

Here is the kicker.  The DPO for some reason decided to MIG weld the body
tub to the frame.  There are about 50 (count em!) welds between the floors
and the frame and welds up front between the bulkhead and the front suspension.

Removing the tub for a real restoration seems to be out of the question with
this car.  Hood, boot and doors align very well.

I want to slow down the rust and seal the bottom of the car to hopefully
prevent further rust.  If I could do a frame off I know what to do.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish detering the rust without removing
the tub from the frame.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and help.

This is a great list!!!

David Parks
70 Spitfire frame off restoration
70, 73, and 74 Tr6 in various states!