Spit - IT LIVES!

To: "Triumph Group" <triumphs@autox.team.net> (Return requested)
Subject: Spit - IT LIVES!
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 09 Dec 1996 16:41:23 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 08DEA32ACB1B3033-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <08DEA32ACB1B3033*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
It lives!!  My 64 Mk I Spitfire lives!  This past weekend we put some gas in
the tank, static adjusted the timing, hook up a freshly charged battery and
fired that bad boy up and by God does it sound wonderful.  That's the good
news.

Bad news - the carbs were fine when I removed them, but in the process of
cleaning them and re-installing apparently the rear SU developed a fairly
significant leak from the top edges of the float bowl.  So, I'll probably
have to remove and do a partial rebuild over the X-mas holiday season (sure,
like I expect to find the time?).  Also, have a small leak from water pump -
probably needs a little tightening or some better gasket sealing.  Not too
bad though.

Question - Has anyone (well, of course someone on this list has, that's why
we are all members) rebuilt twin SU HS2 carbs lately?  Any tips?  I've
rebuilt your basic American Holly and Rochester carbs, and once dismantled
(note, I did not say "rebuilt") a Zenith carb on an early Bug.  So, is an SU
that much different from a big, hairy chested, dual stage, 650 CFM, 4 barrel
Rochester QuadraJet with mechanical secondaries?  Am I about to be
embarrassed and humbled by a little tiny side draft carb with funky
Whitworth fasteners (of which I do not one a single wrench)?  Should I
simply package them up and send to Apple Hydraulics in NY for a full rebuild
at $$$$$$$ prices?  Is this a task best left to mad dogs and Englishmen?

BTW, Ugh!  Forgot how smelly a freshly painted motor is until all the new
coating burns off.  My wife thought it was on fire at first.  It was quite
amusing when she backed away from the car thinking it was about to burst
into flames.  Cheers all.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4