Re: TR7/Saab heads?

Subject: Re: TR7/Saab heads?
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egilk@sn.no>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 10:02:12 GMT
Apparently-to: triumphs@autox.team.net
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
On Wed, 11 Dec 1996, Al Brenden wrote:

> I think that the head you're talking about (4 valve SAAB) was
> the TR7 Sprint head. DOHC 4 valve. According to what I've read,

Where? It is completely wrong.

> SAAB and Triumph developed the the slant 4 together.

They did not. SAAB approached the UK engineering company Ricardo to
enquire about having an engine developed for their coming "99" model. At
that time, SAAB did not have an engine of their own, they used a somewhat
awkward Ford V4 unit in the "96". The Ford having replaced a 3 cylinder
2-stroke unit in its time, btw.

>From Ricardo SAAB were told that Triumph already had commissioned Ricardo
to design a slant 4 which fit the SAAB requirements exactly. As a side
note, one important reason behind the slant 4 design was that it was to be
"doubled" as a V8 design.

So instead of having an engine of their own, SAAB bought engines
manufactured by Triumph the first few years.

An interesting fact is that Triumph did not use the engine in any of their
own models for the first year or two.

*Then* SAAB came up with their own 8-valve engine design. I'm not sure who
were involved at this stage, but the new SAAB engine has more than a
superficial similarity to the original Triumph/Ricardo design. It is not
the same engine, though.

For the Dolomite Sprint, quite a potent little car, Triumph designed an
ingenious 16 valve head with all valves driven by a single overhead
camshaft.

SAAB came up with a 16 valve head for their engine much later, and
this had no resemblance whatsoever to the Triumph head.

> But, no flames please.

All right ;-). Although I DID explain this on the brit car list just a
couple of days ago.

Egil
--
Email: egilk@sn.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway