Re: HS6 carbs for TR6 (smog)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: HS6 carbs for TR6 (smog)
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 10:36:36 -0800
Concerning SU's verses Stromberg's and Smog test's.  It's been my experience
that most people doing smog tests  (or a lot of mechanics for that matter )
don't know the difference between an SU or Stromberg, and in fact most have
never seen  many LBC's.  And don't even know what engine is supposed to be
in the car.  I remember taking the V6 Spitfire (and Spitfire's were not that
obscure ), in years ago and the guy looked in the book for 6 cyl Triumphs (
I never told him they didn't make V6 Triumphs and he didn't ask.  He said
what is this. I told him it was a 6 cyl Triumph ).  Said 2 carbs, he saw two
venturies.  Looked OK to him and went ahead with the test.  In fact when I
had the original 2600 V6, before I replaced it with a 2800 ( parts
availability ) he looked at the exhaust manifolds ( two branch, one pair of
cylinders siamesed ) he though it was a V4.  Even though it had six
sparkplugs!  I wouldnt worry about failing the visual test.  They'll look up
in the book, Yep 'sposed to have two o' them funny sucky type carbs - OK
lets plug er' in!
Course with the new really stupid, we can't leave well enough alone and have
to justify our EPA job, smog test II soon to be here in calif., well you
takes your chances. - don't say you heard it from me :-)  Besides you can
always bolt the old Strombergs on for the test, then replace with the SU' s
after all is well and good.  Although I dont know why there is so much bad
press about Strombergs.  They have been on my GT6 and with proper
maintainence I've never had any problems with them, other than having to
fill them dampers up way more frequently then the SU's I've had.  Anybody
figure out why?  And don't say it's the little 'o' ring in the damper.  Mine
dont have um - non adjustable needle, sealed bore, no hole through to leak
oil.  So where's it going and why?  All I can figure is that it's beeing
sucked into the engine via the vaccumm transfer holes in the piston!  But
every two weeks!!

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (under-going major surgery) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+