Re: Questions about Installing TR-3 ragtop(John Cowan's message)

To: pwiegman@ix.netcom.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Questions about Installing TR-3 ragtop(John Cowan's message)
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 14:22:03 -0500
In a message dated 96-12-15 09:13:06 EST, pwiegman@ix.netcom.com (Paul g.
Wiegman) writes in answer to John:

>  think the job was around $160.
>
>  In short, get a shop to do the work.
>
>  Paul g. Wiegman
>  1956 TR3

I bought a new Robbins top for my TR4 about 2yrs. ago. I agree with Paul. I
took it to a canvas shop that specializes in interiors and tops.  Two bits of
advice however:
1) Shop around for price and expertise
2)  If you can, get an original old top touse as a model for the shop to go
by

One of the reasons for the 2nd bit of advice is that the TR4 "lift the dot"
snaps ( on the 4 -don't know about the 3 ) should be installed so that you
can pull parallel to the ground when unsnapping them.  Otherwise, it makes
the job of taking off the top a real bitch. (The Coventry engineers did put
some thought into this!)
 The top shop was going to install them so that the removal force would have
been perpendicular to the ground and would have made it a real pain to
unsnap.  He was going to do it that way because it was easier for him and was
not obvious at first glance.  But I was able to see what he was up to because
I had an old original top and some years of experience putting it on and off.
 We did it correctly and everything is smooth.  There were also a few other
tricks to ensure that the top was centered correctly.  With his generalized
skill, his use of the proper tools (which I didn't have) AND my interest in
getting it done exactly the way it should be, everything turned out OK.

Maybe a TR3 someone on the list could/would provide you with the proper
precautions to use for your car.  Remember the old adage "measure thrice -cut
once."  If I am correct, once you cut the top to install a snap - the top is
completely yours and you can' t return it.  But relax and think it out and
all will be OK.  :-)

Cheers
Art Kelly '64TR4 CT33118L (original owner)