TR6 Ring Gear and Starter-Explanation?

To: andertonm@juno.com, dynamic@pbgi.com
Subject: TR6 Ring Gear and Starter-Explanation?
From: SCHWANGAU@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 22:02:11 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
OK, here is a possible explanation on this bass ackwards (can you Swedes on
the list get that one?) ring gear.

The GT6 has the goofy inertial actuated starter gear that comes from BEHIND
the flywheel and engages moving TOWARD the engine and starter motor,  just
like the Spit motors etc.

The TR5 and TR6 starters are the real type with solenoid acuation.  The
starter gear is compelled toward the flywheel from the engine side by the
solenoid.  Just like our familar Detroit Iron does.

Now, I dont't have a Moss catalog for a GT6, but get this, the part number
for the ring gear, 590-030, is the same for the TR250/TR6   AND THE SPITFIRE.
 So I would presume for the GT6 also.  Someone with a catalog might check
this.

Apparently, the inertial starters (Spitfire and GT6)  need the bevel on the
mating side with the starter gear (the transmission side)  but the solenoid
starters do just fine with flat cut faces on the flywheel teeth.  Hence the
same ring gear, installed the same way, is used on all those cars.

I like said, parts of these some are on backwards by design British cars.
 The time most of it works.  Just look at how they face their cars on the
road.

nairB