Spit Side Windows

To: triumph-group <triumphs@autox.team.net> (Return requested)
Subject: Spit Side Windows
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 16 Dec 1996 07:29:22 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 0646C32B56AD2011-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <0646C32B56AD2011*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Greetings, Scions and Happy Holidays!

I am wrapping up the final items on my 64 Spitfire Mk I and have run across
a minor, but frustrating problem re-installing the side glass.  As some of
you may know, the side glass rests in a "U" shaped channel in the window
regulator that is lined with rubber, and the window is held in place by two
plastic clamps, one at each end of the glass.

I am having the damndest time getting the window to seat all the way down
into the "U" channel.  The window will seat only part of the way into the
"U" channel, thus, it will wind up fine, but when I wind it down the glass
sticks at the top of its travel (no doubt due to the new rubber and felt
seals), while the mechanism goes down without the glass attached.  First I
tried using some WD-40 in the rubber part of the channel to assist in easing
the glass in, but the glass will not seat all the way.   Then white lithium
grease - no luck.  Then tried tightening the two bolts with the window not
quite completely seated - still stuck at the top of the travel.  Then tried
cleaning off all of the lubricants with lacquer thinner and re-installing
without the rubber gasket in the "U" channel hoping that the clamping action
of the two bolts would be sufficient - nope.  Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!  Then got
my lovely wife involved - knew I was in trouble when she had no other new
ideas to suggest (she always figures out a better way!)

So, now what?  The wind-up mechanism cannot dropped in from the top of the
door (God, that would be so easy!).  I even tried....(hushed gasps)....
beating on the top of the damned glass with a big bad-assed rubber mallet I
keep in the deepest darkest receses of my tool chest - NOTHING!  I finally
got tired of the silliness and went inside, made a nice cool gin and tonic
(it is a sunny and balmy 78 degrees farinheit today!!!!) and decided to put
the Spit away for the rest of the weekend, address the stack of Christmas
cards sitting in the den and finish decorating the house for the lovely
wife.

Any assistance would be appreciated.  Of course, my lovely wife, Aisha, said
"dear, it is a convertible after all - do you really plan to roll the side
windows up?"  Perhaps she has a point.  Well, look forward to any help (or
humor) I can get from the list.  Cheers all, and hope your holiday season is
joyous so far!

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe (next - and maybe last-project)