Re: Bentley Manual

To: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Bentley Manual
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 09:20:53 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
scott suhring wrote:

> Is the Repair Operation Manual, 2nd Edition, Incorporating
> TC and PI Models, issued by Service Division Triumph Motors
> British Leyland UK Limited truly the same, identical manual
> as the Bentley?

Very, very nearly so, but not exactly so.

> This manual makes no reference to Bentley anywhere? It is my
> understanding that the Bentley Manual has its name on the cover
> and is also titled for the TR250. The distributor indicated
> that the Factory issued manual which I have is an exact copy
> of the Bentley?

Technically, it is the Bentley manual that copies that factory
manual.  Essentially, the TR250/TR6 Bentley manual is a reprint
of the factory service manual, with some footnoted information
added in various places throughout the factory manual, and, in
some cases, later information incorporated.  These "improvements"
in the Bentley manual, however, are few and far between, leaving
the primary portion of the Bentley manual to be very nearly
identical to the Factory Service Manual.

The Bentley manual also includes some additional information
at the beginning that is not present in the factory manual.
I don't have my Bentley manual in front of me, but basically
the Bentley manual also adds a copy of the "Owners Handbook"
(the glovebox-sized manual that comes with the vehicle), and
a few pages on capacities, and other miscellaneous information.

> For those of you who remember, yes, I am the one who was seeking
> the Haynes Manual for the TR6. And NO, I have not secured one yet,
> but am still trying.

I bought a Haynes TR6 manual about one year ago, and it falls
far short of the detail present in the Bentley or Factory manuals.
One benefit of the Haynes manual is that it does have a number
of photos which don't appear in the Bentley / Factory manuals, and
occasionally help with figuring out things that aren't mentioned
in the manual at all, like where a hose should be routed, or
which way a fuel line bracket is oriented.

(I had bought my TR6 Haynes manual from the Vintage Triumph Register's
Book Service, which still had a supply of them last year, but which
I believe has now been depleted.)

--ken
Vintage Triumph Register WWW Maintainer -- http://www.vtr.org
'74 TR6 -- 6 month daily driver...