Re[2]: clear windows

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re[2]: clear windows
From: Pat.Catchpole@netc.co.uk (Pat Catchpole)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 16:45:00 +0000
     I spoke to a plastics expert at my work about the info shown here.  He
     was a little dubious about such a 'miracle' product.  There are
     certainly plastic reconditioning/restoring products on the market, but
     he does not know of anything suitable for clear vinyl.  The cloudiness
     is caused by sunlight reacting with the plastic and causing a
     permanent change.  Any rub-on product can only affect the surface of
     the window, not the insides.  My colleague went on to say that the use
     of rub-on products would probably promote hardening of the plastic
     leading to eventual cracking.

     The best way to preserve the clear plastic of a soft top is to keep
     the hood up on the car, and the car in a garage without windows.  Not
     advice that will receive a warm welcome amonst readers of this list
     me-thinks.

     My advice, live with it as long as possible, and then buy a new hood.
     Most importantly though, keep the hood down and the car on the road.

     Happy motoring

     Pat