Re: spitfire rebuild/mods

To: cwgall@aloha.net
Subject: Re: spitfire rebuild/mods
From: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Date: 20 Dec 96 9:25:08
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Aloha, Charles, and thanks for the heads-up on the Rimmer Brothers rebuild
article.  (By the way, which island is it .. Oahu?  Maui??  On second thought,
donšt tell me ...)

But there is something in the Rimmer Brothers rebuild article I find, well,
disturbing.  And I quote:

ĒThe end-of-the-line 1493cc powerplant was essentially a stroked big-bearing
1296 unit. ...  Hard driving will wear the crankshaft bearings.  Unless you
replace the shells every 30-40,000 miles, the crank will be lucky to last
another 30,000.Ē

Hmm.

My 74 Spitfire 1500 had 74K on it when I got last spring.  Išve been gentle
with it (sort of), but I donšt know if those 74K miles qualify as Ēhard
drivingĒ miles, not knowing much about the proclivities of the DPOšs (plural).
Admittedly, I donšt even know if there are only 74,000 miles on my car, though
compression and performance seems to indicate the number to be genuine.
Anyway, if Išm to read the Rimmer Brothers text correctly, my crankshaft is
about to IMPLODE.  Surely this canšt be true, can it?

---

Martin S.
74 Spitfire, blissfully ignorant and resting