Re: spitfire rebuild/mods

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: spitfire rebuild/mods
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 10:19:33 -0800
  Jonathan  writes -
> I believe that this quote was from John Kipping in Coventry and to be
> honest I wouldn't dismiss anything he says out of hand. He's probably
> rebuilt or otherwise dealt with more spitfire engines <  snip  >
Jonathan,
While I don't dispute Jhon Kipping's claims, I can tell you from a
mechanical designers standpoint that given the same parts, ie the same rods,
same bearings, same journal diameters, same oil pressure same rpm, same
combustion pressure,  you will have the same load/wear.  And these
components are exactly the same as used in the six cylinder engines.  The
whole idea was to commonize parts inventory, not to build a stronger engine.
This does not discount that the 4 cylinder motors may be driven/rev'd harder
than their 6cyl counterparts - plus the fact that owners of Spitfires may
not have been as faithfull about changing their oil/filters as owners of
more expensive TR6's  There are other varibles involved - just don't
discount the 'big bearing' Spitfire engines. as being trash - there are a
lot of them out there, way more than the eariler versions, and that may
account for the difference in repairs.  Plus remember,  most cars with six's
had oil pressure gauges.  A sure way, to tell of impending bearing failure,
a feature sorely lacking in the Spitfire and GT6 line in my opinion!

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (under-going major surgery) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+