TR7 Tweeks

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR7 Tweeks
From: Randy Clark Mike Pontau <grantura@agate.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 19:02:55 -0500 (EST)
Because it's what I have, I use my TR7 DHC for Solo 1 events with the COM
Sports Car Club. (We do Time Trials at New Hampshire International Speedway,
St. Jovitte Canada,& Lime Rock - maybe even Watkins Glen this year.) I would
like to make my TR7 4 banger just a little competitive. It has long been a
mystery to me why this nice little modern SOHC 2 litre, with a cross flow
head, is such a dog! I realize that I could just be the worlds biggest
chicken on a race track, but I don't think it's all my fault. It's sort of a
quest of mine to make my car as fast as the VW GTIs, X19s, Honda Civics,
and, most of all, TR 4 bangers, that regularly blow my doors off. And I
don't really want to go with a V8 or 16 valve conversion, because then I
would have my doors blown off by Porches,and BMW and Camaros and Mustangs.
I'm convinced that the TR7 original engine is just a few tweeks away from
being something we Wedgers can finally be proud of... maybe I'm wrong, but I
have made some surprising progress in the past year. I'm in a very deep deep
hole, clawing my way towards the surface a little every time out on the track.

So how about it out there in TR land. Am I the only one who hasn't given up
on the TR7/8v? (that's right, 8v not V8!) If you know any "go fast" stuff
about the TR7/8v, think of me out there getting creamed by every little
hatch-back that Detroit , or anyone else, has come up with these last 20
years. This not only looks bad for me, and it's devaluing your TR7!!

Let's Talk.