Re: Spitfire transmission problem

To: <Z@iamug.org>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire transmission problem
From: "Bill and Sal Birney" <birneybs@onaustralia.com.au>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 22:05:42 +1100
Zach

> Does anyone have any
> idea why the clutch would suddenly stop working after working fine?  The
car is
> put away for the winter now, but come spring, I will have to takle the
problem.

First off, when you say the clutch stopped working, was that totally, or
just not fully disengaging?

Without seeing the car, cann't be sure however it could be a number of
things (some more expensive than others). I suppose you have to start with
making sure the hydraulics are operating fully, if they are a litte sick
you may not be getting full movement at the slave (faulty rear seal in the
master will do this without lossing fluid, check for this by watching for
fluid being pushed back into the master cylinder reservoir when someone
depresses the clutch pedal).

If they are, and the clutch is only partially disengaging (maybe also if
total failure) then, if you remember back to when you changed the gearbox,
the clutch operating lever would have had a pin on which it pivots. I once
had this pin drop out, which lets that end of the lever travel backwards as
the clutch slave pushes the other end forward! Result, very little clutch
movement. (I believe this is common for both the 3 rail and single rail
gearboxes, but as I have never seen a single rail box I'm not sure!) You
can check for this by tacking off the tunnel, turning into a mutant, triple
jointed, contorsionist, dwarf, and checking for the pin on the right (as
you look forward) hand side of the bellhousing.

Then you could have had the clutch fail (was it new at the same time as the
gearbox?).

Best of luck,

To all the list, have a merry X-mas, and enjoy the new year (and we'll
think of you whilst be drive our Triumphs in the sun down under)

Bill and Sal Birney
'70 GT6+ (RHD)
'67 Spitfire MkII (restoration)
'69 Spitfire MkIII (Sal's, in queue)