Spitfumes found

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfumes found
From: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Date: 23 Dec 96 9:35:23
Doctors have a saying:

ªIf you hear hoofbeats, don¹t look for zebras.ª

In tracking down the source of the gasoline fumes in my ¹74 Spit, I needed to
look no further than the trunk.  Upon removing the cardboard tank cover, I
noticed that a small amount of gasoline had pooled in part of a bottom trunk
seam, turning the sealer into this gawd-awful black oily substance.  (Said
substance not only stunk to high heaven, but is almost impossible to remove
from one¹s skin.)   Anyway, a little further investigation revealed that a DPO
had repaired a bottom corner of my tank with some kind of putty that leaks a
little, particularly if the tank is full.   Over time, the leak turned my trunk
seam sealer into a new molecule, one I have called ªsmelzonya.ª

 To remedy this situation, I will Llikely just replace the tank (though they
are hard to find either new or used).  If there¹s someone in the D.C. area with
a mostly rust-free used tank, I¹ll help you free up some garage space ... or
does anyone know where to get a new one?
--

Martin Secrest
¹74 Spitfire 1500