Balancing Carbs (was Spit Distributor)

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Balancing Carbs (was Spit Distributor)
From: Francois Demont <100304.2046@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 07:37:21 -0500
Cc: Ross Vincenti <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Ross Vincenti wrote :
>>>I pretty much ignored the readings off of my Unisync and simply
used my ears to balance the SUs.  Much easier and I think more accurate.
 The damned Unisync is not all that accurate from my perspective and I am
beginning to think it was a waste of money.  A good set of ears (perhaps I
DO look a bit like Prince Charles, okay) seems to be all one needs.<<<

I also use my ears to balance my SUs. (OK, it's my job, I work as sound
recordist for French TV, I'm happy to discover I'm not a mutant). I place
my head level to the carbs, between them, rear carb to the left ear, front
carb to the right... (Take care of backfire's ;-) What a stereo !
It works very well, but sometimes I check it with a cheap plastic tool
selled in UK, (is it the Unisync?). I always may reajust just a little, one
or the other, to have *exactly* same amount of air in each carb. This
readjustment ismeasurable, but not perceptible in the "hiss" or in the
idle, so, is it really necessary ?

Happy new year driving your Spit 4, former surgeon ! (356 doesn't count ;-)

Francois Demont, spitfire@compuserve.com
1968 Spitfire MK 3, every day car
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/spitfire