Re: TR6

To: Martin Libhart <mlibhart@feist.com>
Subject: Re: TR6
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 08:57:11 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Martin Libhart wrote: (snipped at will for brevity)

> Need quick comments. Have a chance to by 72 TR6 #CC75322L for $3000. I
> want for a driver now, and future restor. project.
>
> Frame looks very good, even at rear susp. mounting points. Sills are
> solid, as are floors, which have only surface rust. Some rust starting
> to show above tail lights, and around headlights. Top needs replaced.
> Seats are good, but new covers needed. Engine smokes lightly at
> start-up, and mainly during decel when driving. Haven't checked crank
> end float yet, but will do so. Has Michelin redlines with some tread
> life remaining. 54K on odometer. All gears sound/feel good, but shifter
> is very stiff when shifting. Car is complete, all instruments, switches,
> etc.
>
> Ok TR6 experts, does it sound good for $3K?? (We started talking at
> $3900, and are now at $3400.

Martin,

This sounds like a good deal, but here are mt $.02 worth.

Since the car is at a dealer, do you have access to a lift?  If so, grab
your biggest screwdriver and do some real poking around on the frame,
especially in the trailing arm attach areas.  This also gives you a good
opportunity to examine for any telltale signs of accident damage.

The rust at the taillight and headlight area, if truly superficial, is
an easy fix.  Use a magnet to check for bondo.  If a rust repair was
done here, it is hard to tell the magnitude of the rot.  New fenders are
available for the TR6, at better than $300 a pop, last time I checked.
Has car been repainted? Was it a good paint job?

Of course, the thrust washer check is critical.  The engine smoking a
little at startup and decel wouldn't worry me, but tearing into engines
doesn't worry me, either! If the thrust washer check is OK, and the oil
burning is not _real_ bad, there is probably some good life left in the
motor.

Hard shifting could be several things, the fact the car has sat for
three months hasn't helped matters.  Wrong gear oil in tranny probably
the culprit.  How long was your test drive?  Long enough to warm up the
gearbox? Did shifting get easier as things warmed up?  Was it really
cold when you did the test drive?

If the engine has coughed up it's thrust washers, of you put your
screwdriver through the frame around the trailing arm attach points,
walk away.  Unless you want to start that restoration project now!

Oh, yea, check out

http://www.vtr.org/TR6/TR6-buying.html

An excellent resource.

Good luck.

Henry Frye
thefryes@iconn.net
TR250's in various stages of dissassembly