Re: TR6 crash pad installation

To: queueman@bigdog.ads-oh.atg.titan.com
Subject: Re: TR6 crash pad installation
From: andertonm@juno.com (Mark R. Anderton)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 21:37:57 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 30 Dec 1996 09:49:54 -0500 John Wiseman
<queueman@bigdog.ads-oh.atg.titan.com> writes:
>(sorry if this posting got out twice)
>
>Hello and happy holidays!
>
>Just ordered some new toys for my 76 TR6 and was wondering how hard
>it is to install a complete set of new crash pads ? Anyone out
>there have some recent experience to share ? Any help would be
>much appreciated !
>
>Thank
>John Wiseman
>76 TR6

What is a "complete set" of crash pads?  Dashboard top, door tops
included?  I replaced the knee pads on my 72 TR 6 about five years ago
and, because the units I got from TRF were very high quality, they were
easy to put in and didn't require removal of the wooden dash.

Too many big-kneed passengers have resulted in the passenger knee pad cracking
again, so I ordered another from TRF.  Boy, was I disappointed!
Poor construction, wrong shape, and the foam inside was not resilient,
that is, if it is deformed, it doesn't return to it's original shape.  I
put the old unit and new one side by side, and was amazed at the
difference in quality.  I ended up putting the old one back in.

If you are doing the dash top, you should plan on removing the windshield
frame and dashboard.  You may be able to just pull the dash away without
disconnecting everything.

None of these are particularly difficult.  Have a good grade of contact
cement nearby to make sure everything stays in place.

Mark Anderton

1972 Triumph TR6 (daily driver)
1984 Jaguar XJ6 (2 ea - some people never learn)
1966 Morris Minor (everything a car should be)
1971 Land Rover
1967 Daimler V8 Saloon
1958 Velocette MSS (500cc single)