Re: Spitfire Rear end "Clicking"

To: triumphs@autox.TEAM.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Rear end "Clicking"
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 21:44:11 -0500
Hello Chris,

Just on a hunch, I'm passing along this gem of information, which may or
may not apply, or be of any help, either:

A non-stop clicking / ticking noise on my old commuter car, an '84 AMC-
Renault Encore, turned out to be from the wheel covers, yes, the hubcaps.
Pulled them off and it went away; left them off ever since.  If you have
full wheel covers, or old wire wheels, or (gasp) fake wire wheel covers,
maybe they are the source of the noise.  They're easy enough to check, at
least.

One other possiblily came to mind, your shock absorber (damper) mounting
bolts or other hardware - sometimes they will loosen, wear a hole ob-
round, and then slop around in the too-large hole, making a clicking
noise.  I suppose you could just bounce the car, at a standstill, and
maybe make that noise come & go.

Hope this might help,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio