Re: TR3 Overdrive Tranny Wanted

To: jibrooks@juno.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 Overdrive Tranny Wanted
From: Paulsv@aol.com
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 09:01:10 -0500
In a message dated 96-12-30 22:53:08 EST, jibrooks@juno.com (Jack I Brooks)
writes:

<< Well a number of you have confirmed my fears that the 3 inch hole in the
 bottom of the  bellhousing of my tranny is a DPO installed
 access/inspection hole of some sort.  Since I need to find a new housing >>
I wouldn't replace the trans because of that access hole.  It.s not visible
or obvious, and it could be real handy to have when the pin that holds the
clutch forkto the cross shaft breaks, which is not uncommon.  It seems
obvious that that is why the hole is there.  Without the hole, you have to
pull the trans to replace that little sucker.  As long as the hole has a
plate over it to keep out road dirt, I'd like such an access hole.  Also, I
had a trans with a chunk out of the bell housing.  I squared up the hole, cut
a matching piece from another trans housing that was internally trashed, and
had it welded in.  Once I cleaned up the welds, you could hardly see it, even
when it was clean.  On the other hand, if you are going to do any expressway
driving, Overdrive would be nice.
Paul