Re: TR6 won't start

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 won't start
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 08:55:09 -0500 (EST)
Todd wrote:
> 1970 TR6 ... sitting ... about 8 years.
> I have changed ... ignition wires,
> distributor, rotor, plugs, points and condensor.
>
> The old coil was not producing a spark so I repalced it with a new lucas
> coil.  Still no spark.

My guess is that the problem wasn't the old coil (they really
don't fail very often) but rather in either the replacement
parts or the process of replacing them.

-Be sure the points are actually opening/closing
-Be sure the condenser (ok, capacitor for you EE types) wire
 lead connects properly.  I forget the exact combination
 but there's an insulating washer which must be put in just right
 to keep the lead from connecting to ground.
-Check the [low voltage] connection between coil and points
-Be sure there's 12v supply to things with the ignition switch on
 (measure at the hot side of the coil, and across the points when open)

If all these things work, you should be generating high voltage out
of the coil, but you still may not have spark at the plugs.

-Verify high voltage by proping (holding if you're brave!) the
 distributor end of the coil_to_distributor high voltage wire near
 a ground and cranking.  If you get spark, move on.  Otherwise
 relook the above items.

If you have spark as tested above, but none to a plug:

-Check rotor and cap for cracks or improper fit

In the spirit of a Bentley manual "redo til working"   :-)

It sounds easy here, but I've pulled hair over a bad condenser wire
connection and a cracked rotor.  NOT FUN!

Good luck,
Joe Flake
HP Atlanta
flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com