Re: Spitfire Rear end "Clicking"

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Rear end "Clicking"
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 06:56:13 -0800
Cc: prubrew@ix.netcom.com
>I have : 1. Replaced the u-joint on the diff end of the prop shaft (trans
end is the              newer cv joint style)
>AND STILL...the MOST annoying click sound is still present
**********
Chris,
I posted this a while back but I guess it bears repeating.  If the click
your hearing usually happens when you go around a corner, your u-joints are
probably "sliding" inside their respective bores.  The noise occurs on the
UNLOADED side similar to a wheel bearing (not the noise but the condition).
The actual procedure was to install different thickness retaining clips to
take out the slop in your u-joints, the factory parts manual actually lists
different thicknesses of these for that very reason.  Had the same problem
in my 72 for years until I found that out.  I 'discovered' this while trying
to diagnose the 'clicking' in my newly replaced u-joints.  While underneath
the car I was grabbing/shaking the offending axle when I noticed the bearing
CUPS sliding ever so slightly inside their bores.  The cure is to make up
shims out of shim stock (usually around .003 to .004) and install them
inside between the cup and retaining clip (the real cure is to use the
correct thickness of retaining clip but good luck finding any).  Your
'clicking' will disappear, guaranteed!

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (major surgery almost done) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+