Re: Old farts

To: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman)
Subject: Re: Old farts
From: jstovall@earthlink.net (J. Stovall)
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 21:45:32 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>>Old decrepit cars and owners (no gender bias here)
>>You are all OLD FARTS this means that the average age on this list is around
>>900 ?what age I wonder?
>>all of you bar a couple of kids out here,(like me ) are older than the cars
>>you drive. I'm afraid most if not all are in your second /third childhood
>>trying to make out you are still sixteen (these must be worring thoughts for
>>the 16 yo kid  who signed up recently to see what he may be like in 30 years
>>time ).:-)
>>
>>Tony.
>
>Tony,  I think you got it wrong.  The generation of us that are older than
>our cars never could leave the status quo alone and feel its our right to
>redefine anything that seems wrong to us.
>
>We grew up with people in their fifties acting like their active life were
>over.  Sitting around, watching the world go by, reminessing about the old
>days and generally waiting to die.  Well it looks like my generation is
>saying screw that, we're living life to the max.  Damn the candles on the
>cake, crank up the rock & roll and slide the Triumph through the curves!
>We are not trying to relive youth, we are redefining middle and senior age.
>
>An interesting thing about humans is that parts of our personality tend to
>get fixed at certain age levels. Tastes in music and cars tend to get fixed
>in humans between mid-late teens to early twenties.  But they can and do
>change over time as we get used to new things.  An instinctive human
>survival trait is that we tend to feel more comfortable with familure
>things around us and more alert and less comfortable/complacent with new
>and different things around us.  Just ask a young child to try a new food
>or go to a country where you do not know the language or customs to test
>this one out.
>
>In children, the survival instinct is to fear the different and welcome the
>familure and safe.  Women tend to keep this instinct during adulthood.  It
>provides us a better chance of our offspring maturing to have offspring and
>maximizes the chance of our genes surviving.  Men on the otherhand, have
>the instinct to seek the unknown during the period that their body is at
>its sexual peak.  Its an instinct to spread seed as far as possible and
>maximize the chances of his genes being perpetuated.  As the surviving men
>mature, they tend to slide back to being more comfortable with the familure
>and safe.  This increases the chances that they will be around to protect
>any offspring that they sired, maximizing the chances that their genes will
>survive.
>
>Once again, older adults, embracing things that are long time familure,
>safe and fun are not trying to recapture lost youth, they are doing what is
>instictivly natural for their age group..embracing things that are fun and
>safe.  Sitting around on a porch waiting to die is not fun nor healthy.

> [...]

Whoa, wait a second. Where did THAT come from? And why? Tony, just so you
know, I'm 16 and would rather drive our '66 Triumph than our'92 Corolla or
our '93 Camry. I would rather drive the Triumph than just about any other
car, in fact. I'm not real sure why you felt the need to do something as
immature and senseless as you did, but just remeber there are people with
other tastes, and age is just a number. Off my soapbox now.

Jeff