Oil Guns for trunnions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Oil Guns for trunnions
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 1997 10:25:11 -0600
Don't aske me how I got on to this one but for all you who want to OIL
your trunnions (and OIL your steering rack!!!)  it goes like this...

1.  get a standard grease gun...you probably already have one but get
another,  this gets messy.

2.  find the heaviest grease you can  and place the near empty tube (or
an inch or two) in the gun.

3.  Remove the top of the gun, pull the plunger down and hold inplace
with vice grips or similar.  This leaves room above the grease for...

4.  lovingly place apropriate gear oil in the tube above the heavy
grease.  Refit the top of the grease gun.

5.  Use the gun like a normal grease gun.

Some notes...  it may take time for the gun to prime its self but it
will happen.  Also,  the only thing that holds the oil in is the heavy
grease underneath it.  It will leak out with time.

This technique is used wherever oil is called for including the steering
rack and trunnions.    It is also used to unlock the j type overdrive
from the splines when disassembling a transmission equipped with same.

For the Steering rack,  the best thing to do is remove the plug,  drill
and tap with a 1/4 unf tap,  fit the equivalent grease nipple.  Then,
OIL as per maintenence schedule

Dave Terrick
learned the hard way about oil