Re: TR3 Radiator Removal

To: Wassallj@philly.infi.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3 Radiator Removal
From: Paulsv@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 10:22:07 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-02-02 20:22:24 EST, Wassallj@philly.infi.net (Jay
Wassall) writes:

<<  am going to pull my radiator out of my TR3a this week, are there any
 tricks to getting it out?  Does it come out the top or do I tilt it up
 and take it out through the grill? >>

Been there, done that.  The rear half of the fan pulley broke last summer,
and I tried to replace it without removing the front end.  The radiator will
not come out without removing the front end.  I just last night heard a
horror story where a DPO or his mechanic cut out the top of the apron and
welded it back in to get the radiator out!  I second the advice of the others
who have replied, and would add the advice that you inspect your fan pulley
and the oil seal on the timing chain cover while you have access. If you've
ever thought of replacing your timing gears and chains, this would also be a
good opportunity.... Matter of fact, since the front apron is off, you may as
well pull the engine and trans and rebuild them, and refinish the engine
compartment.  And as long as you are painting, you might as well do the whole
car.  Of course to paint the bottom, you'll have to jack the body off the
frame, and as long as you have the body off the frame, you might as well do
the suspension and rear end...

My new philosophy is to just fix what's wrong, and get back on the road as
soon as possible.  Yeah, I might have to pull the front apron again some day,
but at least it will have new stainless steel hardware, and I'll know how to
do it.  Good luck with your project!

Paul Vander Woude
61 TR3 undergoing ROLLING restoration
P.S.  TRF's rear pulley half did not fit on my car.  The big hole where it
fits on the back of the fan extension was at least 1/8 inch too small in
diameter!  I had already painted my trademark silver stripe over the timing
mark hole, so I couldn't return it. :-(