Re: Dried Grease---Trunnions (TR6): oil or grease?

To: Gary Oehrle <oehrle@lsil.com>
Subject: Re: Dried Grease---Trunnions (TR6): oil or grease?
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 20:46:07 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, odd@triumphclub.se
Gary Oehrle wrote:
> snip...
>  These things are lubricated via grease nipple, right? Or am I
> missing the point in the use of the word oil.
>
>  Gary Oehrle
>  Greased!!!

Well, Yes You are... At least when it comes to the small chassied
Triumph vehicles with the Alford & Alder front suspension... In the
manual for servicing the front lower swivels it clearly states -Oil.
I quote:

Owners handbook, part number 545017 3rd Edition 7/68, page 54.

"Steering lower swivels (Fig. 79)
Raise the front road wheels clear of the ground, remove the
plug (shown arrowed) and fit a screwed grease nipple. Apply a
grease gun filled with HYPOID OIL and pump the gun until
oil exudes from swivel. Remove the nipple, refit the plug.
Repeat, with the opposite steering Swivel."

The American edition, part number 545102 1st edition 3rd printing 1/70,
says on page 42:

"Lower steering swivel (Fig. 58)
Every 6,000 miles (10,000 km.) remove the plug (arrowed).
Fit a grease nipple and apply a grease gun until oil exudes from
the swivel. Remove the nipple and refit the plug."

In the recommended lubricants section they state:

British Isles:
"Lower swivels: BP Gear Oil SAE90EP, Castrol Hypoy, Duckham's Hypoid
90, Esso Gear Oil GP90/140, Mobilube GX90, PetroFina Pontonic MP SAE
90, Regent Multigear Lubricant EP90 or Shell Spirax 90EP

Overseas:
"Lower swivels: API GL4, " The same brands, with the adding of TEXACO
/ CALTEX Multigear Lubricant EP90. If not below 0 Centigrade / 30
Farenheit, then it's to be Hypoid oil with rating 80.

North America:
"King pin lower swivels: " and the same as above.

I hope this clarifies things a little...
On the heavier types of cars it's the same, as far as I can find out.
So:
Front swivels - Hypoid Oil.

Bye for now,
Odd
--

Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4        International liaison secretary,