exhaust/smog

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: exhaust/smog
From: joe-schneider@nwu.edu (Joseph Schneider)
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 11:48:00 -0600
no longer a voyeur on this list, currently the new owner of a 76 spit-
bought car sight unseen after a friend with lots of previous lbc ownership
experience looked it over for me, but he forgot to check for air pump

turns out this was california car- unlike federal 76 spits, it has a
catalytic converter, i *think* it was also supposed to have an air pump
(dpo told me he thought it was there and turning, but it's not there)- am i
right, did california 76 have air pump? car has had weber fitted, needs
some exhaust parts replaced, it looks like the front pipes are o.k. and i'd
like to stick with stock manifold and save the catalytic converter if
possible even if i move to non-stock system in the (probably naiive) belief
that it may get me past the chicago area tailpipe sniff/smog testing (no
inspection for components performed, they just do the tailpipe sniff, i
assume i only have to meet 76 federal standards despite the california
origin of the car)- any experience? will the absent air pump kill me?

thanks
joe

76 spit (my wife says cheaper than a marriage counsellor or another woman)

Joseph R Schneider, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Surgery, Northwestern University Medical School
100 Burch, Evanston Hospital, 2650 Ridge Ave, Evanston, IL 60201
voice: (847) 570-2565  fax: (847) 570-2899  e-mail: joe-schneider@nwu.edu
world wide web page:  http://pubweb.acns.nwu.edu/~jschneid/JRS.HTML
"He has no sense of comedy, he's German through and through." Sam Shepard
describing Guenther in "Spencer Tracy is not dead"
or alternatively, my wife describing me