Re: Mystery Pistons...

To: kbrown@trmx3.dot.ca.gov
Subject: Re: Mystery Pistons...
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 12:39:32 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi,

Funny you should mention this. I just took apart a '69 TR6 engine and I
had the same thing, 5 G's and one F. I didn't measure the pistons yet,
but I did see in the Bentley manual the various measurements for pistons
that were installed from the factory.

I suspect that my motor had been rebuilt once, there were several
anomolies discovered as I was taking it apart. In my case, however, the
crank was not reground, the journals are exactly at the factory spec. No
wear. This might have been a new crank, I'm not sure.

As a point of reference, when I took my '74 TR6 engine apart, the pistons
were all "A's".

My '69 engine will probably need new pistons, I'm going to rummage around
for another "G" or buy new pistons. I'm thinking about new pistons
because these ones are really in tough shape, the rings are corroded to
the pistons. After much soaking and some effort, I've only been able to
remove 3 rings total (out of 18, counting the oil rings as one ring per
cylinder). Those rings are really "bonded" to the piston.

Oh well.

Despite the pistons, there are many good parts in this motor, crank,
Circle B head, block, cam, distributor etc. I got the purchase price and
then some worth of parts so far, and I have a lot more stuff to scavage.

rml

p.s. went out in the garage over the weekend. I had to move a few cars
around so I can start getting the '74 TR6 ready for another season of
AutoX. I put the key in and the thing started on the second try. Not bad,
I never disconnected the battery either. I really like that car! I have
to get another "beater" going so I can pamper the old one. It's like an
old dependable friend... I'll spare you on the details of why I made that
comment.
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own??? Never enough.