Subject: <GT6+>: Gearbox and Overdrive question

To: Spitfire 1500 <spitfire1500@dalton.net>
Subject: Subject: <GT6+>: Gearbox and Overdrive question
From: Scott Kohl <rpage@wvi.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 17:11:06 +0000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
All the GT6 boxes had the same ratios: 1st:2.65; 2nd:1.78; 3rd:1.25;
4th:1.00.  As for the overdrive, the news is not good.  No overdrive
will fit any non-overdrive box, because the entire mainshaft is
different.  And, the D-type and J-type O/D mainshafts are not the same
either.  The cost to convert to overdrive, from domestic sources, will
run you upwards of $1600 (gasp!).  You have to swallow the core charges,
as well as pay a silly price for the rebuilt items.  John Kipping in
England will sell you a heavy duty (Dolomite internals) GT6 J-type O/D
box as a non- to O/D conversion.  The total cost, even with shipping and
'surcharges', would run you about $700-$800.  No, I don't have his
number handy, but Mr. Kantarjiev should have it on the tip of his
toungue.  If you want to rebuild the box yourself, you're in for an
adventure.  I don't think you can rebiuld a '+' box for a j-type--You
have to start with a mk. 3.  Am I right out there?

Hope this helps

Scott Kohl
'69 GT6+
'63 Spifire 4 (arriving--sometime.)