Re: Tranny help (2nd request)

To: Carol Zingone <jrhoffman@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Tranny help (2nd request)
From: Martin Libhart <mlibhart@feist.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 09:19:31 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Carol Zingone wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Sorry to repost, but I had no responses, which is unusual for this
> list !  I've got a grinding/chewing noise coming from my tranny. I tried
> to check the gearshift retainer cup, but can't quite seem to get to it.
>
> I very clearly hear an occasional chewing noise, which gets worse as I
> move the gear shift.  As a test,I moved through all the gears, with
> clutch and without clutch.  It was not going fully into either 2nd or
> 4th.
>
> Does it sound like I have a new tranny in my near future ?  Any other
> possibilities?
> Any help greatly appreciated...I've missed a great winter for topdown
> driving...
>
> Carol Zingone
> 74 TR6 (waiting again)

Carol:

Do you get any clash or grinding when attempting to put car in reverse?
You might want to check a good article on clutch actuation and
adjustment first.  Sounds to me like one possibility would be that your
clutch is not fully disengaging when you depress the pedal. There is an
excellent article from "My Classic Car" at:

   http://www.myclassiccar.com/restoration/newtips/clutchtip.html

Good luck!

Martin Libhart
1972 TR6 (driver)