Circle B head/ 2" SU's

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Circle B head/ 2" SU's
From: placroix@magi.com (paul lacroix)
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 20:01:40 -0500
       Hello fellow listers,

Can someone please tell me what a "circle B" cylinder head is for a TR6?
Bob Lang made reference to one in a recent post.

Also, it is my intention to replace my Z-Stromberg CD 175 carbs
(yuck)...with a pair of recently aquired 2" HD8 SU carbs. BIG MAMA JAMA'S
I've seen this conversion done on one other TR6.  I've been led to believe
that I will see noticable improvements in performance when properly tuned.
My question is, has anyone else ever tried this conversion, and if so what
results were achieved?
The engine I'm rebuilding will be slightly hotter than stock due to the new
profile of the camshaft which I sent to Crane in Daytona Beach to be
re-profiled/re-ground (duration 264 degrees with .414" Valve lift). I've
converted the head to a no lead head with hardened seats...new bronze
guides...new valves... new rockershaft.
I have NOT made any changes to the compression ratio, and I'm using stock
pistons (not bored oversize).
Does anyone have any idea which needle profile would be appropriate for
this application?  I don't know for sure, but the carbs probably came into
this country on a big Healy or an E type Jag.  They were last installed on
a Datsun 240Z which is also a straight six engine similar in size to the
TR6.

Regards,

Paul Lacroix
1973 TR6