Re: GT6 Overdrive Transmission Questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: GT6 Overdrive Transmission Questions
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 06:40:29 -0800
Lenny Seidman writes:
>1. Will the overdrive transmission fit all GT6's (early thru late) or
>just certain models. Is there more than one overdrive transmision that
>was used on the GT6's?

As far as I know only the 'D' type was fitted as factory, but 'J' types can
be fitted.  You can tell by looking at the filter cover plates on the
overdrive unit, the 'D' type is a flat plate, four mounting screws on the
side while the 'J' type plate is cast with small ribs, six mounting screws
and on the bottom.  Also the solenoid on the 'D' type has a flange with two
small bolts securing it while the 'J' type solenoid screws into the case.

>2. Is it just a straight bolt in job or are any modifications necessary
>besides hooking up the overdrive electrics?

If it's the tranny plus the overdrive, then yes it will bolt right in, but
you'll need the frame mounting plate and the shorter driveshaft, or you can
shorten the existing one.  If it's just the overdrive unit itself than it
gets a bit tricky.

>3. Besides the overdrive switch and wiring are any other different parts
>needed?

(see above)

>4. How much should one expect to pay for an overdrive transmission?

About twice what a standard one costs-(unless you get lucky and they don't
know what they have <G>)

>5. Will the overdrive transmission fit any other Triumphs/Spitfires?

The overdrive unit itself will, but the tranny/overdrive together is limited
to the 2 liter and under six cylinder engines.  You _can_ bolt one up to a
2.5 liter physically, but you would tear the tranny up in short order.

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (minor surgery started) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+