Re: TR3 History Help <199702091914.OAA22326@saturn.planet.ne

To: billsohl@planet.net (Bill Sohl)
Subject: Re: TR3 History Help <199702091914.OAA22326@saturn.planet.net>
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 12:22:54 PST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, 100407.370@compuserve.com, kerch@parc.xerox.com
>>>Bill Sohl said:
 > Heinz-Martin Weigand <100407.370@CompuServe.COM> wrote:
 >
 > >Could you perhaps help me with 2 questions, concerning the history of my TR
 > >3 A:
 >
 > >2. Can anyone of you imagine the "meaning" of the license plates? They
 > >where: 1NDH672.
 >
 > While choosing your
 > plate numbers is more common today, it wasn't
 > done much at all in the 1960s.

I agree it probably means nothing at all, but in the 60's California was
issuing gold-on-black plates of the form XXXNNN where X is any letter and N is
any digit.
Then they switched to gold-on-blue plates of the form NNNXXX in the 70's; I
got 185LOA for my '51 Bentley around 1974.  In the late 70's or so they
started doing the blue-on-white plates of the form NXXXNNN, starting with
1XXXNNN, and they're up to 3XXXNNN now.

So Heinz-Martin's TR3A was probably first registered (or reregistered after a
prolonged period not being driven) in the late 70's or early 80's.

  --berry

Berry Kercheval :: kerch@parc.xerox.com :: Xerox Palo Alto Research Center