Re: poly/nylatron

To: Michael Noerregaard <triumph@ibm.net>, rgb@exact.com, ingate@shiseis.com
Subject: Re: poly/nylatron
From: rgb@exact.com
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 19:20:00 1997
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>>NOTE:  if there is anything bent in the shock tower region, you'll have
>>       problems installing the front ones.

>Could you please elaborate on this last note - what does it mean? I suppose
>that the shock tower region is the rear end of the car - or front? And what

I have one car with front frame damage, the shock tower is "crooked"
slightly, I've seen these on several cars, the rubber bushings have enough
play to "bend", the nylatron doesn't.  The correct answer is to have
the frame straightened/fixed.  This won't be a problem on most cars,
but its worth looking.  Any hit car will have:

1.  broken spot welds at the front valance to inside fender joint
    (no one fixes these as they don't show from outside, its that last
     12" that you can see under the hood near the spoiler)

2.  The frame will spring just aft of the shock tower mounts, I call
    this the S portion of the frame.  The frame was built out of flat
    steel, when the car is hit, this buckles, any frame machine will
    pull it out, but leave wrinkles on the lower surface of the frame.
    Look rear of the front wheels, just rear of the rear lower wishbone
    mount.

(don't feel bad, about 1/3 of the cars have "pre-bent" frames)

>>      The rear nylatron kit needs
>>       the non-cut washers drilled out one size, try all on the bolt BEFORE
>>       starting..

TRF or Good Parts' nylatron kit comes with various shim washers for
the rear bushings.  This is great to adjust for the varying width of
the aluminum hinges.  Just slide them all on the hip of the bolt BEFORE
you attempt to use them and drill any he missed...  I was using the BFH
when I realized some of the washer holes were too small.