Re: ..., Panasports, ......

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: ..., Panasports, ......
From: andertonm@juno.com (Mark R. Anderton)
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 19:54:29 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, hooper@genrad.co.uk, krisc@pi.bns.com.au
>Panasport Wheels:
>
>I Have a set of Panasport wheel on my TR6. They are a drastic
>improvement
>over the wire wheels I had on the car, from a handling standpoint. I
>much
>prefer the looks of the wire wheels, but mine were worn to the point
>of being
>dangerous. The only problem I have with Panasports is that they rub on
>the
>suspension components if I turn the wheel hard in either direction.

I also replaced my wires with Panasports and had serious clearance
problems.  The upper A-arms would gouge the inner wheel rim on a full
lock turn.  I bought the spacers offered by Moss and found I could only
get about two turns on each lug.  Thsi was with long (disc wheel) lug
bolts.  I called Moss and the rep I talked to said he thought that was
good enough!  Needless to say the spacers went back for a refund.  I
ground the corners off of the A-arms and cut off the excess length of the
ball joint mounting bolts.  At that point everything was okay - except -
the balancing wieghts would still occasionally touch and get moved around
the rim.  Not good.  I now insist on tape-on balancing weights.
Mark Anderton

1972 Triumph TR6 (Getting ready for paint)
1984 Jaguar XJ6 (2 ea - some people never learn)
1967 Jaguar XKE 2+2 (latest acquisition)
1966 Morris Minor (everything a car should be)
1971 Land Rover (Farm use)
1967 Daimler V8 Saloon (Be patient! I'm workin' on it)
1958 Velocette MSS (500cc single)
1987 VW Golf GTI (How did that sneak in here?)
1972 Grady White Chesapeake Mercruiser I/O