Re: TR4 horn trouble

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 horn trouble
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 15:39:31 -0500
Hi Charlie and Bruce, in re :

 >        Isn't there also another connection that needs to be made between
                           ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^
 >        the lowest portion of the shaft (below the second flex joint) and
 >        the steering rack? It is the rack that actually provides the
 >        ultimate ground contact.
 >
 >        I found my horns wouldn't work until I rigged a bogus flexible
 >        connection between the shaft bottom and the rack. I never did figure
 >        out why I had lost continuity to the rack ground.

 >Charlie Farwell             1962 TR4 #CT3852L
 >cfarwell@lucent.com

Yes, ISTR a ground wire & eyelet that attach under the plug where you
add oil to the pinion gear -- the plug that's often replaced with a
grease (OIL!) fitting after tapping it out to a pipe thread.  Was this
improvement done on this car ?  You might look for this slight `improve-
ment' and see if the PO remembered the ground wire.

Best regards,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio