'66 GT6 stuff

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: '66 GT6 stuff
From: jstovall@earthlink.net (J. Stovall)
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 12:05:44 -0800 (PST)
Hey everyone,
        Ok. So we recently got the car back from the garage here, who
charged us $90 to adjust the float level. But at least they made the car
drivable. Well, yessterday morning it died on Dad while he was coming home
to take me to school. I ran out there and we pushstarted it. We got it
almost all the way home when we had to push it across the busiest street in
Tusacloosa. Fun. BTW, the first time it died on Dad while he was rounding a
corner and the second time when he was sitting at a stop light.
        Now, about twenty minutes ago I went out and looked at the carbs
and the damper oil. The garage had put the stuff you order from the catalog
in there and I had a hunch that was too light. I drained it out and put in
some 10W-40 and the darn thing started with the first turn of the key.
Extremely hesitant when I revved it, but it was running.
        Here's what was happening right after we got it back from the
garage: extremely hard to start, it would take 10-20 tries to get it
running. Absolutely no power when cold, but fairly improved when warm. You
had to have the choke out until it warmed up, and when idling you had to
rev it some to keep it from dying. And there was just a feeling that
something wasn't right about how it was driving, you know? Maybe a
combination of all this.
        And here's what happened when I drove it about twenty minutes ago:
stalled once, mostly my fault, but it started back up on the second try.
Hiccuped a good bit. Still got a pretty big loss of torque. I parked it in
the drivaways once and turned it off, but it ran on for about 7 seconds. I
started it up agian right off. After I pulled into the driveway for the
last time and turned it off, it immeditly blew a backfire that sounded like
a shotgun.
        I won't go into what I think I can do to fix it, since this post is
already pretty long, but yesterday Mom was ready to sell it and buy a '76
Toyata pickup. Yech. She still wants to, but if we do, we're probably going
to get a '80 something Camry or somthing like that. I still want the
Triumph more. My point? If something else major goes wrong, even not that
major, me and Dad have lost out. Mom will sell it in a minute. Yickes!
        Anyhow, thanks everyone!

Jeff Stovall