Re: Wiring harness replacement

To: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Subject: Re: Wiring harness replacement
From: David M Brock <dmbrock@julian.uwo.ca>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 10:11:59 -0500 (EST)
Cc: "The Stretz's" <ccfarm@tranquility.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 19 Feb 1997, Henry Frye wrote:

> Chad writes:
>
> > I met a gentleman recently who owns a 71 MGBGT (I know, I know, calm
> > down!)He is in the process of restoring the car, and asked me if I would
> > replace the wiring harness for him.
> > What I'm looking for here is, how long should this take, and how much
> > should I charge the guy?  The interior has NOT been removed.

> Second, get paid by the hour.

> Also, lets assume you do the job, and everything works. You know once
> you do this job you _own_ all the electrical problems this gentleman
> encounters in the future. Yuck.

First, Chad, I replaced a Spitfire harness (just the main, not the
read-end) and it took me about 3-4 sessions of 3-4 hours.  I was taking my
time, which was recommended by all who had input for me.

There are a few things that I'm still working on (the replacement was
*last* winter) but, like Henry says, I know who's responsible for the
problems, because I know who did the work.  I'm willing to live with that
until I get them fixed.  Mine replacement harness was used, and I'm
blaming all my problems on that. ;-)

I think it is a lose-lose opportunity- maybe you would be detter off to
work *with* the owner to assist *him* to do the job.  Then you can pawn
off the responsibility at least partially on him.

Good Luck

--
David Brock                       dmbrock@julian.uwo.ca