Re: Turn signals

To: Tim Clayton <clayts@vegasnet.net>
Subject: Re: Turn signals
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 13:38:10 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 19 Feb 1997, Tim Clayton wrote:

> OK - slowly but surely I'm getting to the bottom of this....  I feel I have
> narrowed the problem with the right side directional signals to the switch
> on the column (odd that my horn didn't work either, huh).  Unfortunately my
> 2 tech manuals say little or nothing about getting to that switch.  So I
> immediately proceeded to remove steering wheel and incrementally remove
> stuff.  NOw it seems DPO had forced a Moto-lita without splines onto an
> inner column with splines (great detective work - oh yeah there were metal
> shavings sitting underneath the horn button!) - well the car drives fine but
> I can't get the dang wheel off to get to the turn switch....  Now I suspect
> all my remaining electrical problems lie in the upper column near the wheel

Tim, I've lost the initial thread, but IMS this is a TR4? If so, you
shouldn't need to pull the steering wheel to get the switch out. You do
need to slacken the various clamps that hold the column up, to a point
where you can undo the "conduit" (for lack of a better term at the moment)
through which the wires run. Then simply unplug the wires from their
connections to the harness, remove the two screws that hold the
escutcheons, then the two screws that hold the switch itself, and
carefully pull the switch out.

I'm wondering, meanwhile, if somehow the switch is shorting out on the
column, perhaps due to the DPO Moto-lita wheel installation. Aftermarket
steering wheels can be a pain in the b*tt on these cars that use the
Herald-style steering column.

Just my $.02....

--Andy