Re: 76 spit rear end trouble? <33110FC1.3C36@erols.com>

To: Charlie Brown <cb1500@erols.com>
Subject: Re: 76 spit rear end trouble? <33110FC1.3C36@erols.com>
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 18:24:23 PST
Cc: Paul Nelson <aloder@websgi.icomnet.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, kerch@parc.xerox.com
>>>Charlie Brown said:
 > > Then I took a peek at the drive shaft ,the drive shaft spins, in reverse
 > > as well, but no vehicular motion is taking place.

 > Can you say "new differential" That free car is telling you it's time to
 > spend some money.
 >
 > Has anyone out there ever heard of a differential actually stripping its
 > gears?

When this would happen on my old Sprite it usually mean that one of the
axle half-shafts had sheared.  When it happened to Sibyl (my TR-6),
though, it meant a new diff.  I don't recall quite what the problem was
as I was still in my "take it to the greasy guy with the english accent
and say `fix it'" stage.

But yes, diffs can and do strip their gears.

  --berry

Berry Kercheval :: kerch@parc.xerox.com :: Xerox Palo Alto Research Center