Spit ID Answered?

Subject: Spit ID Answered?
From: Gehl@sphinx.crane.navy.mil (Mark Gehlhausen)
Date: 24 Feb 97 12:08:19 GMT
Apparently-to: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
A few weeks ago, I posed a Spit ID plate dilemma.  I stand corrected,
but have lost the respondee addresses.  I was certain I had seen two
"U"s in my number, but you guys were correct.  It is an "L"!  Great
news, as this number now makes sense.

To summarize: my number "FDU48633L", manufacture date 1 June 69.
Is it correct that "FD" is a Mk3 Spit series, "U" denotes US destination,
and "L" means left hand drive?  Do I have the 48633rd MK3 Spit made
worldwide or just US wide?  Are the UK (non "U" numbers) interspersed
within the sequence?  Assigned by blocks or at random?  Is US the only
country with an extra letter in the ID?  I appreciate any responses to my
questions.  Mark

All of my books must be published in the UK, they do not mention this
ID plate conundrum.  Mark