Re: Spitfire Temper Tantrum?

To: Charlie Brown <cb1500@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Temper Tantrum?
From: David M Brock <dmbrock@julian.uwo.ca>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 16:55:16 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
> dmbrock@julian.uwo.ca complained:
> > <snip>
> > The roughness makes it so that the car will not run over about 2100 rpm- it
> > just jerks right at 2100, no matter how high I try to rev it, until I
> > decelerate.  Very frightening.  The tach jumps between 0 & the actual
> > reading, and as soon as aI get off the gas (and bre\ing it below 2100), it
> > runs fine.  The problem persists, at the same rpm point, when I try to rev
> > it in neutral- ie, it does not depend upon the load on the engine.

On Sun, 23 Feb 1997, Charlie Brown replied:

> What year Spit is it? Does it have a mechanical or electronic tach? If
> it's electronic, and the reading keeps dropping to "0", you're running
> out of primary ignition voltage. A fuel starvation problem generally
> causes the tach needle to flutter down.
>
> Does this car have a catalytic converter? A clogged converter can severly
> restrict exhaust flow, making it impossible to rev above a given rpm
> range.
[...snip...]
Thanks Charlie-

I should edit my statement...  The bouncy Tach is on the Jetta, not the
Spit.  The Jetta has an electronic Tach, the Spit is mechanical.  I
guessed it was electrical, because of the sharp changes, but with an
electronic tach, it could be otherwise.
The spit is a '73.  No Cat.  The behavior of the car above the critical
point is not such that the flow is restricted- more like water in the
line, or a dead (or misfiring) cylinder.

Thanks... I'll let you know how it goes.

--
David Brock                       dmbrock@julian.uwo.ca