Re: GT6/Spitfire Diffs

To: Lenny Seidman <lseidman@erols.com>
Subject: Re: GT6/Spitfire Diffs
From: Spitfire 1500 <spitfire1500@named.dalton.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 08:46:35 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Lenny Seidman wrote:

> Can someone tell me if what are the differences if any between GT6 diffs
> and Spitfire diffs? How can you tell one from the other?
>
> Also are there difference between GT6 MK1,2 and 3 diffs?
> Ditto for the Spitfire series.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Lenny Seidman
> Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, USA
> email: lseidman@erols.com

Larry,
  I've been doing alot of research in this area, due to the fact I'm
making a Spit 6.  I don't know how strong the early 4.11 Spit diffs
are,  but corresponding years GT6 and Spit diffs are the same, later
1500 diffs seem to be a little stronger.  The housings are different
from '71 and up, and the axle casings for '75 and up Spits are the same
as '71 - '73 GT6s.  GT6 mk3s and Spit 1500s are generally the same.
Spit mk4 and GT6 mks 2 & 3 seem very similar.  Spit mks 1 - 3 diffs will
fit, but are not quite as strong.  All diffs are interchangable between
bodies, for they all bolt down the same way.  If you want a diff that is
alot stronger, I think I remember reading/hearing that a TR6 diff can be
used.  If you really want to know, I will find out for you.

TTFN

Ron N.
Dalton, Ga
http://member.dalton.net/~spitfire1500
77 Spitfire 1500 - undergoing cajones transplant - FM66513UO
62? Vitesse/Sports 6 convertible - HB5635LCV
92 Ford Tempo GLS V6 (Ultimate Q-ship!) - 1FAPP38U1NK150073