Re: GT6/Spitfire Diffs

To: Lenny Seidman <lseidman@erols.com>
Subject: Re: GT6/Spitfire Diffs
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 10:06:15 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Lenny Seidman wrote:

> Can someone tell me if what are the differences if any between GT6 diffs
> and Spitfire diffs? How can you tell one from the other?

Basically, the GT6 diffs were sturdier, particularly in the inner axle
area, than were the early (pre-Spitfire Mk.IV) differentials. GT6, and
Spitfire Mk.IV and later, differentials also used a larger flange for the
U-joint yokes from driveshafts and axle shafts.

Easiest way to tell quickly is by serial number, found on the bottom of
the "nose" of the differential. This assumes that no one has been inside,
of course. Check out "Amicale Spitfire's Web site or Club Triumph's Web
site for details of serial numbers.

> Also are there difference between GT6 MK1,2 and 3 diffs?
> Ditto for the Spitfire series.

Not much significant difference among GT6 differentials until you get to
the LATE Mk.3, which has only four studs to hold the later-style
swing-spring (others have six studs).

Spitfires basically break between Mk.3 and earlier, and Mk.IV and later.
The earlier diffs are more like Herald diffs, and the later ones a bit
more like GT6 diffs.

There's much more to it, but that's a quick, basic guide.

--Andy