TR6 diff mount repairs

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 diff mount repairs
From: "The Stretz's" <ccfarm@tranquility.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 06:52:20 -0600
Fellow Scions,

This Saturday, I'll be dragging my TR6 out of hibernation to have the
differential mounting studs replaced, the HOLE in the front crossmember
fixed, and the rear crossmember removed and welded in properly.  It
seems that the DPO (D for Damned in my case) let his young son drive the
car for a while.  His testosterone-induced driving style apparently
included drag-racing ALL of his friends at EVERY given opportunity.  At
his last green light, he managed to rip the differential, complete with
rear crossmember, clean out of the car.  To make matters worse, they let
Cletus and Bud at the local "fix it shop" install the new crossmember
and weld(I use this term loosely) everything back together.  "Cletus, ah
ain't never worked on one of them thar Jagwire TRBGT's before."  "Hell,
Bud, ain't nothin to it.  Take this here angle iron and all thread and
hold real still!"  BZZZZZZZTZZZZTZZZ...

Luckily, I have a very competent friend with a body shop who has agreed
to do the proper repairs for me.  What I'm looking for now is any advice
relating to this subject.  How do I measure to make sure the rear
crossmember goes back in correctly?  Also, what is the proper
distance/spacing of the mounting studs?  We plan to cut through the rear
floor assembly to access the front crossmember.  Anyone done this? Once
again, I appreciate everyone's support and knowledge while I attempt to
resurrect this neglected mess.

Thanks in advance,
Chad Stretz
73 TR6 CF7511U