Re: 76 spit rear end trouble?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 76 spit rear end trouble?
From: DLMAssoc@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 07:43:38 -0500 (EST)
>Well my 76 Spit engine runs now, rather well considering it's down time.
>Then I thought I had a bad slave cylinder. I bled the clutch fluid, the
>old fluid was nasty, replished as necessary. The slave seems to be doing
>its job, but when I release the clutch in any gear there's no movement.
>Then I took a peek at the drive shaft ,the drive shaft spins, in reverse
>as well, but no vehicular motion is taking place. My experience is
>limited, so any help is greatly appreciated.

This is a long shot and, since I'm on digest and get things a bit later than
others, this may have been solved by now.  Also, I don't know anything about
Spits, but if this happens on any car with wire wheels, you should make sure
the splines on the rear hubs and wheels are good.  I experienced these same
symptoms with my TR4 and it turned out to be nothing more than stripped
splines on one rear wheel.  Since there's no positraction, once one wheel
stripped, everything turned except the wheel. Replacing the splined adapter
and wheel solved the problem.

NOTE:  If by some odd chance this happens to be what the problem is, check
ALL wheels and adapters to make sure the others aren't ready to strip.  Just
as you get zero forward movement if one rear wheel is stripped, so will you
get zero braking action if it strips when you try to stop.

G'luck...
Don Marshall
'57 TR3  '63  TR3B  '63 TR4  '63 Healey 3000