Re: Spitfire Under-Rider Swap

To: Barry Schwartz <Bschwartz@encad.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Under-Rider Swap
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 10:12:32 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Barry Schwartz wrote:

> Barry Adams writes:
>     <  snip  >
> > Is it possible, without major modification to the frame, panels etc., to
> > replace my rubber under-riders with the MK3 chrome ones?  If not, are there
> > other options?
> The MK III overriders will not fit, mounting and profile are entirely
> different, as well as MKI and MKII.

Right. Even if you could coax the Mk.3 overrider to fit the bumper of your
car, you'd still need something to cover the frame end/bonnet pivot point,
which the Mk.3 overrider won't do.

> The only real option is to use the
> black polycarbonate (not rubber) from a MK 4, (71-72 and possibly 73, 71-73

Yes, the 1973 U.S. Spitfire 1500s still used the polycarbonate underrider.
For reasons unknown to me, there is an extra flat reinforcing "plate"
welded to the very front of the frame extension/bonnet pivot piece that
is NOT on the 1971-72 Spitfire frames. Maybe
1/4" or so, and it doesn't seem to interfere with anything.

> ...VB's catalog is incorrect, and if
> their listing is actually for the early part then it is only correct for
> 71-73  The actual picture is for a MK 4 and the inserts are for the later
> rubber style 1500 snubber's and you can clearly see the different mounting
> configuration.  All this will gain you is probably an inch or so at most -

And maybe a tiny weight savings by using the polycarbonate bits! ;-)

--Andy