Re: hardtop window rubber in europe?

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: hardtop window rubber in europe?
From: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 10:09:27 -0600 (CST)
Cc: robert ylitalo <robert.ylitalo@kiruna.se>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Thu, 6 Mar 1997, Andrew Mace wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Mar 1997, robert ylitalo wrote:
>
> > To my spitfire mk2 1965 i need the window rubber to the hardtop
> > I got the name of a company call victoria british but i think that
> > is in the U.S. Does anyone know of a company in europe that can deliver
> > theese parts to me.
>
> Robert, several issues back in _The Vintage Triumph_ (Vintage Triumph
> Register magazine), there was an article about someone who struggled for
> some time with a similar problem and finally came up with a workable
> solution that did NOT involve seals currently advertised to fit the
> Spitfire hardtop.

Andy,

The article you refer to is about the seal that goes between the rear edge
of the hard top and the rear deck.  From the fragment of Robert's message
quoted above, he is trying to find the seal that goes around the glass in
the hard top.  This seal is not listed in any catalog I have seen and
appears to be unavailable.

Robert, you may be able to find a seal from some other application and get
it to work with some fiddling.  However, the original seal has a chrome
finishing strip in it (like the windshield seal) which could be a problem
if you are after the original look. I have often wondered if a windshield
seal from the early Spitfire (with the groove for the chrome strip) could
be adapted to work, but I haven't gotten around to checking it out yet.

Mike
'70 Mk3 Spitfire, restored except for the hardtop.