C-V joints

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: C-V joints
From: Dan Harriman <kc5gxl@pnx.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 14:33:07 -0600 (MDT)
Hello Tom and fellow scions of lbc;
   I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but, there is something wrong
with this picture. I happen to own a little company named of all things,
C-V Specialties. As the name implies, I specialize in C-V joints. Namely, I
rebuild them.
   The problem is this: C-V joints are made for specific applications. There
is no such thing as a "universal" c-v joint. The outer housing of the outer
joint
is a part of the spline or stub-shaft. This means that a new stub shaft
would have to be manufactured to include the outer race (or housing) for the
outer joint. Next, an inner race would have to be made to fit into the outer
housing.
Then, a cage would have to be made to fit between the two races to hold the
ball bearings in place, etc., etc., etc. The same would also have to be
basically done for the plunge (or inner) joint. Once all that was done, then
all would have to be heat treated to give the correct amount of
case-hardening to keep the same from wearing out in 100 miles or so.   Of
course, all of this costs buku $.
I would think that a conservative estimate would be in the neighborhood of
about $500,000.00 and up for all the engineering, testing, tooling, etc that
might be involved. I know that my suppliers are multi-million dollar concerns.
    It may sound like a lot of money, but it might be less expensive in the
long run to buy the $900. axles and be done with it.